JOB TITLE: Science Technician (physics and general science)
SCALE/SCALE-POINT: Support Staff Scale 3
RESPONSIBLE TO: Curriculum Leader
‘Come questioning, go seeking, grow’
We are seeking an experienced Science Technician for our Physics team. The post holder will support the Physics teachers in preparing classrooms and providing assistance during practical lessons. Although the applicant will also be expected to cover in other sciences so we welcome applicants with experience in Biology and Chemistry labs too.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• The safe preparation of materials, apparatus, textbooks and stationery for use by teachers and their classes.
• Assistance with practical demonstration and practical work when required by teachers. The organisation, storage and labelling, maintenance and replacement of materials and apparatus, subject to the approval of the Curriculum Leader.
• To keep the Laboratory areas and preparation room clean, tidy and well-organised, under the direction of the Curriculum Leader.
• To provide adequate information on safety in all laboratories, including COSHH assessments for all practical work and chemicals used.
• To maintain a set of practical requisition sheets and master copies of all relevant practical protocols.
• This position is primarily to work in the Physics area supporting teachers and students in this subject area, duties to include preparation of resources and setting up equipment including electrical equipment. It also includes the maintenance and monitoring of equipment and chemicals, cleaning apparatus and equipment after practical lessons, maintaining a safe prep room environment.
• There may be a requirement to occasionally support with Biology and Chemistry too.
• Maintenance of a petty cash system and/or holding a credit card for the purchase of items on petty cash subject of the approval of the Curriculum Leader and in association with the Finance department.
• Monitoring stock levels and ordering resources where required.
• To identify personal and professional staff development needs to meet the College’s Strategic Plan.
• To ensure continuous professional development (CPD) requirements as specified by the College and that may be identified during College processes, for example Appraisal.
• To participate in the College Appraisal Scheme.
• To maintain awareness of the requirements of the College Health and Safety Policy and to be responsible for ensuring that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Health and Safety Policy are adhered to and carried out.
• To read and apply the College Safeguarding and Prevent procedures and to ensure that the duties and responsibilities detailed in the College Safeguarding Policy and Prevent Duty Policy are adhered to and carried out.
• To read the College Single Equality Scheme and to act in accordance with statutory obligations under the equality duties and in compliance with current Equality and Diversity legislation.
• To ensure adherence to the College Data Protection Policy.
• To work to the College quality standards and systems within the context of the College quality systems.
• To undertake such other duties and responsibilities as are appropriate to this level of post, including any reasonable request made by Head of Faculty or Senior Leadership Team.
Essential skills and Characteristics
• Good organisational skills and the ability to work on own initiative.
• Ability to relate to the needs of both staff and students.
• Working knowledge of basic scientific principles, specifically in Biology
• Willingness to be trained in relevant skills.
• Relevant qualification or experience.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to prioritise activities.
• Energy, enthusiasm and commitment
• Flexibility in working practices
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Tenure of post: Permanent, Part Time, Term Time Only (36 weeks)
Hours of work: 15-25 hours per week. Working times (days and hours) will be discussed at interview.
Salary: From £18,753.00 to £19,305.00 per annum (Pro rata for part time and Term Time Only)
Pension: Local Government Pension Scheme (optional). This is an employee
and employer contributory pension scheme.
The Henley College is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
The Henley College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. This position is subject to a satisfactory Enhanced DSB (previously CRB) check
The Henley College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.