Clerk to the Corporation
Salary: £11,041 pro rata (£34,716 FTE)
Hours:14 hours per week over 2 days (one of which must be a Monday to cover meetings up to 7pm), 38 weeks per year
Start date: As soon as possible
Holiday: 27 days holiday pro rata
We are looking for an experienced, well-organised but adaptable individual to take on a role as Clerk to the Corporation. The main purpose of this role is to provide independent advice, guidance and support to the Governing Board on a range of matters relating to governance, constitutional and procedural matters.
A stand-alone position that reports directly into the Chair of Governors, the successful candidate will be responsible for administrative activities such as meeting planning, developing Board agendas, producing minutes and action plans, whilst also liaising directly with senior staff members and members of the Corporation on a range of regulatory and constitutional issues.
To take on this challenge you will need to have demonstrable experience working as either a Clerk to Governors within a school/college or charity environment or Board Secretary experience within a commercial environment.
Ideally you will be a member of Chartered Governance Institute and/or be studying for the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators qualification (ICSA). Adept at building relationships at all levels, in order to facilitate desired outcomes, you will have the confidence and verbal reasoning skills to influence colleagues at the highest level too. Minute writing and advanced IT skills are essential prerequisites for this high-profile role along with meticulous attention to detail.
Please see the Job Description attached for details of the daily tasks associated with this vacancy.
We’re on a mission to be an outstanding education provider. As an Ofsted ‘good’ college and accredited with Silver Investors in People, we are already well on our way to being a great place to study and work. To help take this ambition one step further, we need a talented mix of teaching and non-teaching staff to join our team.
You will have the following;
• A minimum of level 2 (GCSE) English and Maths or equivalent
• A qualification relevant to the role
• A strong understanding and experience of governance
• Experience of organising meetings and co-ordinating activities
• Excellent Minute writing skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Excellent communication skills
• Exceptional organisation skills
It would be desirable if you also;
• a member of Chartered Governance Institute and/or be studying for the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators qualification (ICSA).
• Have experience of working within Education
• Have previous experience of working within a Clerk position
In return, we offer;
• Free on-site parking
• 27 days holiday
• Local Government Pension Scheme 5.5% employee contribution vs 26.9% employer contribution
• Subsidised café on site
• Friendly and flexible working environment
• Discounted childcare at on-site nursery for Newbury College staff
• Access to our new Newbury College Gym for a small annual subscription fee of £20
Our college is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment. All successful candidates will be subject to Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks along with other relevant employment checks.