The College is seeking to appoint an energetic and enthusiastic Biology Technician. The Science area forms one of the College’s largest and most successful departments. The area offers A levels in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Electronics and Computer Science, as well as Vocational Science courses and a range of enriching extra-curricular opportunities.
The Science department is based in modern purpose-built accommodation. There are eleven laboratories, three specifically designated for Biology teaching; the others distributed between the remaining courses. There are also several ancillary rooms; each has an attractive outlook. There are currently three Science Technicians, each with a prep-room specifically designed for the subject area they support.
The successful candidate will provide essential support to teachers of A level Biology and Vocational Science and will be organised, proactive, practical, flexible, resourceful and able to work to tight deadlines. An ability to work individually and independently is important, as is the ability to consistently show attention to detail. Previous experience in a laboratory environment is essential, as is a sound knowledge of health and safety issues. An interest in science is also essential and a relevant qualification in a science-based subject is desirable.
Purpose of the job: To support and assist in the work of the Department
• Maintaining a safe and well-ordered prep-room
• Well supported staff and students
• High quality provision in the Science Department
Reporting to: Director of Learning for Science, Computing & I.T.
Responsibilities and duties will include:
• Preparation and setting out of equipment and teaching materials required for demonstration and class practical work
• Periodic maintenance and repair of stock and equipment, including evaluation of safety
• Preparing and using risk assessments for prep-room tasks
• Stock control, placing orders where necessary and upkeep of related records, including annual inventory checks
• Control and safe storage of materials
• Directly assist students with projects, investigations and other practical activities
• Acting as the local administrator for the exam board web-based course materials including maintaining the database of users in QMC
• Maintenance of clear and tidy Biology laboratories
• Other tasks as directed by the line manager commensurate with the scope of the post
Qualifications & Skills
• Experience in a laboratory environment (essential)
• Knowledge of health and safety issues (essential)
• Good organisational & time management skills (essential)
• Good interpersonal skills (essential)
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team (essential)
• Confidence in routine use of computers (essential)
• Skilled Biology Technician (desirable)
• Recent industrial or school experience (desirable)
• Experience of Post-16 education (desirable)
• Flexibility to work in other science areas as appropriate (desirable)
• Ability to diagnose simple faults in apparatus (desirable)
• A knowledge of sterile techniques for the safe handling of microbiological material (desirable)
This role attracts a number of benefits such as, use of the Sports Centre facilities, free parking on site, discounted Central Studio tickets, complimentary beverages for all staff, related training and development, counselling and according to service a generous annual leave, sickness and maternity package.
Please see attached job description for further details.
Closing date: Noon 13 October 2021
Salary is paid at a full-time equivalent point 9 of the Sixth Form Colleges Support Staff pay scale, currently £21,296 per annum; this is £11.04 per hour. This figure will be prorated to working hours and actual weeks worked. This post is a full-time, term-time and permanent.
Prorated to term time + 1 week full time is £18,950
Queen Mary's College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.