The Headteacher and governors are seeking to appoint an outstanding individual to take the strategic lead for additional learning needs in Morriston. Morriston Comprehensive School is an English-medium 11 to 18 comprehensive school to the north of Swansea. There are 972 pupils including 134 in the sixth form. Over 6% percent of pupils have statements of special educational needs compared with 2.4% for Wales as a whole. The school has a specialist teaching facility on site that caters for up to 30 pupils with a range of moderate additional learning needs, along with an alternative educational provision that provides support for a small number of vulnerable pupils that struggle to cope with a traditional mainstream curriculum.
The ALNCO / Leader of Inclusive education will be a strategic lead in transforming ALN provision at Morriston Comprehensive School to respond to the challenges of the ALNET (2018) Bill and ALN code, ensuring the additional learning needs of all learners are met.
The successful candidate will:
• Be a strategic lead, bringing together ALN, STF and alternative provision under a common umbrella with the clear aim to improve outcomes, pupil engagement and wellbeing.
• Have the exciting opportunity to shape the structure of provision in Morriston.
• Be an excellent leader, able to enthuse, motivate, support and lead a very committed group of teaching and associate staff.
• Be a highly effective teacher with high expectations, able to motivate, engage and empathise with our pupils.
• Ensure the school is fully compliant with all ALN regulations and requirements.
• Possess excellent communication skills, able to effectively engage with staff, outside agencies and parents and carers
• Contribute to the strategic direction of ALN at senior leadership level.
In return Morriston Comprehensive School can offer:
• An ambitious and rapidly improving 11-18 school. We are now in quartile 1 in most of the key indicators including the L2 inclusive and Maths. A level performance has improved significantly over the last two years, last year 26% of grades were A*-A and over 75% A*-C.
• An aspirational, supportive Senior Leadership Team and Governing body;
• The potential to build and develop this role at senior leadership level.
• A 22 million pound state of the art learning environment, with a dedicated suite of ALN/STF/alternative curriculum teaching rooms all with interactive Genie boards and wifi access.
• A safe, caring environment where respect and consideration is taught, established and valued by all.
• Friendly, dedicated and well trained team of teachers and associate staff who are committed to doing their best for our students every day.
• Opportunities to develop and grow your career in an environment that values and supports initiative and a growth mindset.
• A great location, a few minutes off junction 45 of the M4.
The application form and further information on the post are available from the school website. The CLOSING DATE for receipt of completed applications is 13th May 2019 at 9am, with interviews planned to be held in the week beginning 20th May, 2019.
The successful applicant will be expected to undergo an enhanced disclosure check with the Disclosure and Barring Service prior to commencing employment, together with an employee health questionnaire.
This post, due to its nature, duties and responsibilities, will be subject to an Enhanced Level DBS check. Should you have any queries in relation to this check by the DBS, please contact the Employee Services Helpdesk on 01792 636098, The Guildhall, Swansea or visit the DBS website www.homeoffice.gov.uk/agencies-public-bodies/dbs/
Please note that DBS certificates are not portable and disclosures processed outside of the City and County of Swansea will not be accepted.