Job Title: Animal Care Technician
Salary: £17,787 - £20,070 pa
Actual Salary: £8,893 - £10,035 pa
Contract Details: Permanent, Part-Time
Hours: 18.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Start Date: As soon as possible
New College Swindon has gone through an exciting time of change since we merged with Swindon College to become one College. Also, with the up-and-coming development of the successful 20M bid of the Institute of Technology, opening in September 2021, which will be an inclusive centre for technical qualifications, higher apprenticeships and training for key technical roles, it’s a really great time to be joining us. These exciting changes will extend the career opportunities for both our students and staff.
About the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic and passionate Animal Care Technician to help effectively support, maintain the animal care centre, and maintain a high standard of animal welfare within the centre.
You will be part of a team maintaining the day to day running of the animal care centre as well as helping to plan and prepare for our new animal care centre that is being commissioned.
What we can offer you:
When you join us, you will have access to ongoing support, training and development opportunities to further enhance your experience and skill set through our extensive CPD programme. You will have access to facilities and resources across the two campuses along with an extended support network of colleagues from a wide range of disciplines and industry backgrounds.
We know that your role requires you to put a lot of time and effort into it and because of this; we believe you should be rewarded. As a valued member of our team, in addition to a wide range of development opportunities, you will have access to a number of great benefits some of are listed below:
• Sodexo Retail Discount Scheme
• Excellent Pension scheme
• Generous Holiday Allowance
• Hire purchase Cycle to Work scheme
• Free and confidential advice, information and counselling service
Therefore, if you are looking for exciting career opportunities and to work in an expanding, dynamic and successful College, who values their staff, you have come to the right place.
In this role, you will:
• Responsible for monitoring animal welfare and ensuring all animal husbandry standards are kept to optimum conditions.
• Develop and maintain good relationships with other colleges for sharing good animal husbandry practice.
• Help, advise and assist students during their training and whilst carrying out practical activities or assist other lecturers in a classroom as part of a curriculum programme.
• Ensure good standards of record-keeping (i.e. weights/health checks/import and export paperwork/feeding logs/risk assessments), writing process paperwork where necessary.
• Work with curriculum lead to develop and guide future development of provision.
• Use course specifications to build the animal collection, importing and exporting animals as appropriate.
Qualifications and experience required:
• Minimum Level 2 qualification in English and mathematics
• Level 2 ICT qualification or equivalent or MOS unit.
• Level 3 qualification in related field or the ability to work towards
• Some experience of animal husbandry and welfare
• Significant and recent work with learners in a relevant context
• Microsoft Office and Microsoft Outlook
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work calmly under pressure
For further information, please refer to the job description.
How to apply:
For a full list of our current opportunities go to our Career Page and click apply! If you know of friends or family who would be interested in coming to work for us please feel free to share with them and if you need more information please contact our HR team. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you have a disability and meet the minimum requirements for the post, we would offer you a guaranteed interview under our ‘Guaranteed Interview Scheme’.
Please note an enhanced DBS check will need to be completed to the satisfaction of New College.
On appointment, you will be placed at the salary point aligned to a number of factors, which include, but are not limited to, qualifications, previous relevant experience, current salary and market forces.
Please note that this vacancy may close before the published closing date if sufficient applications are received. If you are interested in this vacancy, please do apply as soon as possible.
Closing Date: 4 October 2021
Our very top priority is your well-being and that of our community. Please be assured that we are monitoring the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and continuing to follow the latest Government advice and to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, further information will be provided if you are invited to an interview.
New College Swindon is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion. References will be sought on shortlisted candidates before interview and by agreement.