Role and Context
Job purpose The purpose of the role is to teach and to participate fully in the community of Red Balloon - NW London, in order to support students’ return to mainstream education.
Context The aim of the Learner Centre is the recovery of bullied children. The means by which this is done is by enhancing students' self-esteem, encouraging them to make decisions and gradually take control of their own learning to build their self-confidence, helping them to understand themselves and others, and providing a safe environment. It is important that the jobholder concur with this aim.
Dimensions Red Balloon – NW London offers places to a maximum of 20 students.
Relationships Works closely with the Coordinator, is part of the staff team, is a participating member of the Red Balloon community, and develops a good relationship with parents/carers, volunteers and visitors.
Safeguarding Safeguarding young people is the responsibility of everyone who works for Red Balloon. The post holder must agree to implement our practice in this area. The person appointed will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Other job information Red Balloon and the Trustees will be accountable for all working arrangements and welfare provision.
● design and implement an individualised learning programme for each student through negotiation;
● set up and maintain organised, coherent academic plans;
● set up and maintain records of academic and behavioural achievement for each student;
● recognise and respond to the need to provide evidence of students’ progress;
● liaise with other staff members to plan and organise teaching;
● regularly advise and consult the Coordinator, discussing any concerns that arise and acting on any agreed decisions;
● maintain a tidy, organised teaching area that is an inviting place in which to learn;
● record significant incidents, accidents, behaviour and hazards.
As a member of staff, to:
● abide by and support the philosophy of Red Balloon;
● take responsibility for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of students;
● act as a mentor/tutor to those students for whom this is appropriate;
● co-operate with the other staff in the running of the Centre;
● attend staff meetings and CPD as required;
● give feedback to parents/carers, write achievement records for students as required, and attend parents’/carers’ consultations.
Additional responsibilities may include:
● overseeing a tutor group along with a peer buddy programme;
Qualifications Degree level education Qualified or experienced teacher
Shows evidence of being suitable for working with children
Skills/Knowledge Good written and verbal communication skills Understanding of bullying and its effects
Experience Of teaching, including one-to-one and small-groups
Of dealing with bullying and its effects
Self Management Manages personal priorities, pressures and workload in an efficient, proactive and effective way
Communications Listens to and communicates clearly and supportively with individuals and groups to help mutual understanding
Equality and Diversity Is constantly mindful of equality and diversity issues in providing services and opportunities, and seeks to avoid discrimination. At Red Balloon, bearing in mind that we treat children according to their social, academic and emotional needs, we provide a differentiated service.
Teamwork Develops and maintains constructive team working relationships and works with all colleagues, students, parents/carers, trustees and managers to achieve the objectives of Red Balloon.
Red Balloon Learner Centre - Northwest London is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.