Job Title: Biology and Science Teacher
Contract: Maternity Cover
Start date: 1st September 2020
Scale: KMS1-6 with TPS
Kings Monkton is a successful co-educational independent school in the heart of Cardiff for children from 3-18 years old. Our vision is to give our children the future they deserve and pride ourselves on our inclusive, friendly, and high achieving ethos. Our strapline is to ‘be the best you can be’ and we emulate this with our children and in our day to day learning and teaching.
We offer our children small classes of 18, a caring and supportive environment, and excellent learning and teaching opportunities. My philosophy is that if children struggle to learn by the way we teach, then we change the way we teach to meet their learning needs. We are the professionals with the skills, acumen and flexibility to get the very best out of all our children, whatever their ability. As an inclusive school we are mainstream but have SEN status, so educate pupils with ASC, dyslexia and ADHD. Our children excel in their subjects and make excellent progress, with residual values consistently between 1.5-2.
We are currently looking for an innovative and outstanding Biology and Science teacher to teach KS3 Science, GCSE and the ability to offer A Level in Biology. The ability and experience of delivering BTEC Science would also be desirable. The post is a maternity cover for our permanent member of staff who will be going off for maternity cover from October half term. As such, the successful candidate will have half a term to team teach with them, get to know the class, pupils, faculty and school before taking sole responsibility for the learning, teaching and assessment.
Our Science Faculty is incredibly successful, with excellent results and extremely high standards throughout the school. We offer both Double and Triple Science, and BTEC science for a very small number of pupils. Our pupils are very focused, and many are looking for a career in the sciences or engineering. As such, the successful candidate must be an outstanding teacher with a passion for their subject and the ability to get the very best out of our children. You will join a team that includes a full-time biologist, chemistry teacher and Physics teacher as well as a dedicated Science Technician.
Please note that Kings Monkton School is an independent school and, as such, has its own pay scale and benefits. These include:
- Kings Monkton School offers the full Teachers Pension (TPS) to all teaching staff who are registered with EWC and have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
- All staff have access to our free refreshments package, which gives staff access to tea, coffee and filtered water throughout the day. Biscuits are also provided free of charge and on Fridays cakes and fruit platters are available for staff during the hours of 10.00-11.15.
- Free brunch during INSET days and complimentary Christmas Dinner. Subsidised end of academic year summer party.
- Free lunch for approved lunchtime clubs.
- Free eye tests for all staff. Free winter Flu Vaccination jabs. Access to our BUPA EAP programme, that offers 24 hour support for emotional, mental and personal wellbeing, including financial guidance, health advice and counselling.
- Cyclescheme is the UK's most popular cycle to work benefit, creating more cyclists than any other provider. The cycle to work scheme allows employees to obtain commuter bikes and cycling accessories through Kings Monkton School, whilst spreading the cost over 12 months and making unbeatable savings through a tax break, saving between 25-39% on a new bike for work.
- Techscheme lets you get the latest tech through your employer. You then spread the cost with payments from your salary across 12, 24 or 36 months and make National Insurance saving up to 12%. Techscheme is powered by Apple and Currys PC World, so you can choose from over 5,000 products from their incredible range.
Use of Gym
- All staff have access to our refurbished gym and can use the facilities free of charge after school.
- Teaching staff are eligible for a 50% reduction on school fees for their children who attend the school.
- Teaching staff at Kings Monkton School benefit from an additional 3 weeks holiday, compared to our state counterparts and class sizes capped at 18 pupils.
KMS Tailored Pay Scheme
Our KMS Scale is:
Main Pay Range
KMS1 £ 24,000.00
KMS2 £ 26,000.00
KMS3 £ 28,000.00
KMS4 £ 30,000.00
KMS5 £ 32,000.00
KMS6 £ 35,000.00
Closing date for applications is Monday 3rd August 2020.
Interviews will be held Friday 14th August 2020.
Kings Monkton Independent School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Criminal Records Bureau.