Computer Science Assistant Education Editor required for education publisher ZigZag Education in their busy office in Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol.
Very exciting role at a successful secondary-education publisher where you will be jointly responsible for the publication of new teaching resources from conception to distribution. A large part of the role is prioritising, coordinating and working with authors. You will also be involved in writing marketing copy. The role involves:
- Working closely with Senior Editors to manage individual projects including looking at samples and new proposals, inspiring authors to write and complete their projects, tight budgeting and cost control, assessing drafts for quality and match to syllabus, and managing the peer review and feedback/update loop with author until final draft agreed.
- Working with a team of external authors, technical checkers and expert reviewers in addition to a small internal team.
- Liaising during the production process, including proofreading, editing, formatting/typesetting and publisher checks.
- Writing advertising copy, compilation and design of marketing leaflets, analysing previous marketing results.
- Post-publication: appropriately responding to customer queries/feedback, making improvements with authors, and developing second editions of original resources.
We have developed an in-house training scheme specifically for this role: high-intensity training for the first few weeks, a high level of mentoring and feedback for the first few months as you build up to managing a full portfolio of projects, and subsequent training modules to give you a comprehensive understanding of each part of the role.
Starting pay is dependent on experience. For example, proven track record of successfully managing multiple projects, working with new authors, and experience in secondary education publishing and/or teaching. The strongest candidates will have evidence of ingenuity and advanced thinking, relating their work to the financial impact, taking higher levels of responsibility, and ensuring that important projects don’t fail.
As an education publisher we require a person with a very strong academic background. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated this through excellent GCSEs, A Levels and a degree. You are required to complete a six-month probationary period.
Essential Skills and Experience Required
- Close attention to detail and an ability to manage processes to ensure quality.
- Good communication skills including maintaining good relationships with existing authors and successfully encouraging a good throughput. Ability to communicate with a wide range of positions including Document Formatters, Commissioning Editors and at Director level.
- Professional and concise written English for communication with authors and writing marketing copy.
- Generally strong ICT, numeracy and English skills.
- Knowledge of the UK educational system.
ZigZag Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.