Construction Crafts Apprentice Technician
1.0 FTE (37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year)
From 1st August: £13,897 per annum (1st year) £16,035 per annum (2nd year)
Are you a motivated individual with the desire to work in the construction sector, but within the education environment? BCoT’s Construction Department is looking for an apprentice to work and study within a passionate and enthusiastic team.
You will be enrolled onto a 12-month Property Maintenance Operative apprenticeship. Key aspects of you training will be:
- To optimise property condition and quality and to ensure our buildings are kept in a safe working condition
- To maintain a high level of quality, providing maximum satisfaction to customers, clients, guests and team
- To understand the mechanism of buildings including electrical, plumbing, plant, safety systems and equipment
- To provide first and immediate response to fault finding, whilst maximising quality and ensuring cost effectiveness
- To ensure the prevention of major damage that could result in extensive costs and minimise reactive intervention
- To proactively ensure the workshops spaces are clean and tidy during and after use
Your day to day activities will be working alongside the departments established technician, learning and understanding the operations within the department and supporting him and the delivery team with preparing and implementing teaching sessions.
There will also be occasions where you’ll need to work with the college’s site management team in order to gather evidence for your apprenticeship or even with outside contractors that come into the college to help maintain the working environment.
The successful candidate will:
- Have the ability to be adaptable and motivated team player
- Be physically capable of lifting heavy weights, as certain aspects of the role will be physically demanding and will involve lifting and carrying
- Be able to demonstrate awareness of Health & Safety
We will start to review applications 7 days after the vacancy is advertised. Interviews will be arranged as and when after this date, so please do not delay in applying.
• Pension scheme: People’s Pension (PPS)
• Benefits: generous annual leave + bank holidays and Christmas closure, retail benefits scheme, free onsite parking, onsite gym access, refectory/coffee shop and staff wellbeing day
• Onsite interview
• DBS required
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and the College is therefore permitted to ask job applicants to declare all convictions and cautions (including those which are "spent" unless they are "protected" under the DBS filtering rules) in order to assess their suitability to work with children.
Basingstoke College of Technology, located in North Hampshire, is a leading and well-respected further education provider. The college prides itself on its excellent links with business and the success of its learners in securing positive destinations.
Basingstoke is an expanding town with a thriving economy and excellent transport links. The college was rates ‘good with outstanding features’ in May 2016 by Ofsted and is committed to becoming an ‘outstanding’ provider. Our financial health has consistently been rated ‘outstanding’ over the last 10 years by the Skills Funding Agency.
BCoT is a significant provider of apprenticeships and we have set ambitious growth targets.
BCoT is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome enquiries from everyone and value diversity in our workforce.