The Kingston Academy seeks an experienced and inspirational Director of Sport to strategically plan and implement a varied programme of competitive sport and broader physical activity at The Kingston Academy, as well as being in charge of the PE curriculum studied to both GCSE and A level standard. This role also involves strategic oversight of Healthy Schools and taking the lead in ensuring that TKA adopts a holistic approach to looking after the mental and physical health and well-being of all pupils.
As a school, we are committed to ensuring that all pupils regularly participate in sporting activities and have the information they need to make healthy life choices. We recognise the considerable resultant benefits in terms of their overall learning experience and their mental and physical well-being.
We have recently taken possession of our significant new extension, incorporating a full sized and fully equipped sports hall and dance studio and several hard courts. Together with the sports fields we utilise at the nearby YMCA Hawker Centre and our alliances with external providers (such as Kingston Rowing Club and London Karate ltd.), these facilities give us the capacity to offer a rich variety of sporting activities to our pupils.
The academy has now achieved sufficient scale for us to wish to appoint a dedicated Director of Sport, to take the lead on this key aspect of our curriculum and design and implement a programme of sport and well-being for all year groups including the sixth form, ensuring that all pupils regularly participate.
The successful candidate for this role will have responsibility for:
- Working collaboratively to forge a clear vision for the future of all sporting activities at The Kingston Academy;
- Creating a thriving competitive sporting programme within school with numerous local fixtures and engaging more widely in national opportunities;
- Taking charge PE curriculum studies to both GCSE and A level standard;
- Delivering a varied programme of physical and fitness activities so that there is something for all and ensuring that TKA sport is inclusive and provides opportunities for every pupil at the right level;
- Adopting strategic oversight for TKA’s Healthy Schools status, ensuring that pupils are informed and empowered to make the right choices for their wider health and well-being;
- Evaluating, tracking and monitoring the progress of TKA’s Healthy Schools initiatives;
- Ensuring that our safeguarding responsibilities are front and centre of all we do;
- Managing risk in the school’s sporting programme, ensuring that risk assessments are carried out and updated in conjunction with the school’s health and safety officer;
- Deploying our team of professional coaches and sports staff, both employed directly and as contractors;
- Overseeing the staffing and timetabling of the school’s sporting programme.
As Director of Sport, the successful candidate would have considerable autonomy and the authority to design and implement their own vision for PE and Well-being at The Kingston Academy.
The ideal candidate for this role would have significant experience as a secondary PE Teacher responsible for managing and implementing an integrated programme of PE and wider well-being initiatives:
- Passionate about their subject;
- Experienced secondary teaching professional;
- Strong practitioner of physical education, with the ability to engage pupils;
- Flexible and committed to engage in the wider curriculum through our Going Beyond and enrichment activities.
Our selection procedure will aim to identify with rigour whether the candidate fulfills the requirements of the post and will include the consideration of the candidate’s suitability to work with children and young people. The process will include:
- Teaching an observed lesson to a full class of pupils;
- Meeting with a panel of our pupils for informal question and answer session;
- Interview with the Head Teacher, Deputy Head Teacher and Head of Department. You will be asked to do a written take and deliver a short presentation outlining your vision for the future of PE and Well-being education at The Kingston Academy.
We look forward to receiving your application.