Head of Humanities
Salary: £27,186 - £42,192 per annum + TLR 2B
Contract: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Maritime Academy, Medway
Start Date: September 2022
Closing Date: 29/05/2022
Interview Date: TBC
We are recruiting for a Head of Humanities from September 2022 for our new school. This is an exciting time to join our school at the beginning of our journey. You will be working in a school where classrooms and teaching areas have been grouped into subject specialisms and state of the art technology.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding, student-centered classroom practitioner possessing a depth of subject knowledge and able to inspire and enthuse our students. They will be fully acquainted with the demands and requirements of the KS3, KS4 and KS5 curriculum.
You will be working in a school with an initial cohort of 180 year 7 students within the first year with successive cohorts joining each year. Our school has been designed to be a carbon neutral build and we believe that we have a responsibility to continue this work to secure the school’s long-term environmental sustainability aims.
Our students will move to the school site in September 2023, for the 2022/2023 academic year you will be based at a satellite site in Lower Stoke (ME3, Rochester). This will mean you will be influential in helping mould our new school and build successful relationships with our first cohort of students.
What you will need to succeed:
For a full list of roles, responsibilities please view the attached JD
- Be a qualified Humanities teacher
- Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments
- Be able to deliver consistently good or outstanding practice
- Be passionate about teaching and learning, ready to embrace new ideas and have a positive outlook and excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong and effective classroom practice with high expectations for achievements and behaviour
- Be able to plan and deliver a creative and stimulating curriculum and have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum development.
- Dedicated to ensuring our students are actively engaged with school, making progress and aspire to become life-long learners.
- Contribute to the values, ethos and the development of our schools.
At Maritime Academy we have great ambitions and we’re proud to call ourselves a member of Thinking Schools Academy Trust. We are at the beginning of our journey and always growing which means you will be joining us at the most exciting part of our story; The Beginning.
Maritime Academy will continually support and enable the self-improvement of every staff member during their time at our school. We want to provide the very best education for our children and this is attainable only through talented staff capable of rising to these high standards.
At the Maritime, our mission is to offer a unique opportunity to learn in a modern setting with traditional values. Our school will ensure that students are confident, respectful and responsible young people, who are able to face the challenges of modern society. We believe that through our traditional ethos and values, we will create an environment where students are respectful for where they learn, who they learn with and who they are as unique aspirational young people.
Our mission is to “transform life chances”; at The Thinking Schools Academy Trust we believe education has the power to change lives; children only have one chance to get this right. To ensure all our academies focus on our mission, school leaders translated our mission to core values that are demonstrated and evident in all our Academies:
Child First, Aspire, Challenge, Achieve
What you will get in return:
- Revised Teacher Payscale to retain and reward excellent teachers
- Strong links with the local community and other local schools within Medway and Kent
- Outstanding CPD tailored to you, wherever you are in your career
- Highly supportive subject mentoring with a strong professional development programme to ensure that the Teachers’ Standards are well developed.
- Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding teaching and learning through resources, mentoring and school visits
- A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
If you are interested in working in our school, benefitting from a supportive network of staff across our Trust we would encourage you to apply.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Maritime Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.