Contract: Permanent, term time only to include INSET days + 5 days (40 weeks)
Hours: 37 per week, 08:00 to 16:00 Monday to Thursday and 08:00 to 15:30 on Friday
Salary: Grade 8 (NJC 20 - 24), £26,446 - £29,174 FTE per annum (pro-rata: £23,228.94 to £25,625.09 per annum)
Start Date: as soon as possible
Are you someone with a passion to see young people succeed and improve their life chances?
Winterbourne Academy are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and dedicated person in a non-teaching role to work within a Year group as a Head of Year.
Winterbourne Academy is a vibrant and highly successful academy in South Gloucestershire (on the outskirts of Bristol). It is the largest secondary school in the county and is part of the Olympus Academy Trust. The Olympus Academy Trust is a partnership of schools, currently comprising nine South Gloucestershire schools; one all-through, three secondary and five primary academies. Staff that work at Winterbourne Academy benefit from the opportunities offered by a large and successful family of schools.
The Olympus Academy Trust - Winterbourne Academy is committed to creating a dynamic and diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of their age, gender, disability, race or ethnicity, sexual orientation or faith. We have procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process.
The post-holder will create a positive year group identity and ensure that the academy’s values and standards are promoted and maintained throughout every aspect of the school day, so that all students in their care fully embrace the schools ethos and values and are ready for learning. They will ensure effective communication with the families of these students, to engage them as key stakeholders in their child’s educational experience.
They will be solely responsible, and accountable, for the attendance and behaviour of their allocated year group and, alongside other staff will support students to achieve their academic potential and be fully immersed in school life. Safeguarding, light touch mentoring and pastoral care is a much smaller, yet still essential aspect of the role.
What we are looking for in our successful Head of Year:
- have experience of working with young people between 11 and 18
- have the ability to lead the revision and preparation for GCSE and A Level exams
- be able to inspire, influence, challenge and motivate others, leading by example
- be able to address the needs of our students by identifying their barriers to learning and supporting them in overcoming them
- be confident in supporting students with challenging behaviours
- be rigorous in maintaining high standards of behaviour and attitude and model this
- be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills and a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- have the ability to use all Microsoft office packages to a proficient standard e.g. prepare documents for external audiences, use excel spreadsheets
- have experience of collecting, collating and analysing data
- have good influencing skills to encourage students to interact with others and be socially responsible
- have the ability to relate to children and young people,
- be able to demonstrate an awareness of emotional wellbeing and empathy for young people, to understand their needs and respond accordingly
- have the ability to show sensitivity and objectivity in dealing with confidential issues
- have the ability to be flexible and adaptable to meet the changing needs of the academy.
- have the ability to work well in a team and independently
- make a full contribution to the wider life of the academy and the personal development of our students
- have relevant experience in a similar role with a proven track record of delivering successful outcomes for young people (desirable)
- have a working knowledge of safeguarding policies and procedures (desirable)
- have experience of establishing relationships with parents/agencies and other professionals (desirable)
What we Offer:
• An Academy that is fully dedicated to developing every student to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability or starting point
• Collaborative working within our shared family of Schools
• Excellent CPD opportunities
• Onsite parking
• Employee benefits such as cycle scheme, discounted gym membership and employer contributing Pension Scheme
• Fantastic facilities
Interested parties are warmly invited to submit an OAT Application Form outlining reasons for applying and suitability for the role. We encourage you to browse our website to obtain more information about working for The Olympus Academy Trust at Winterbourne Academy.
Please refer to the candidate information document attached for further information about the role.
Closing Date: Sunday, 9 January 2022 - We recommend early application as the academy reserves the right to close the advert prior to the stated deadline date.
Interview Date: TBC