The Management Board of Torfaen Pupil Referral Unit (PRU) is seeking a strong, committed, inspirational leader who will lead our enthusiastic and experienced Senior Leadership Team, dedicated teachers and support staff from April 2022. You will be committed to shaping the long-term future of the PRU and making a significant contribution to the inclusive ethos of the Local Authority. We require a lead professional who has the breadth of vision, creativity, energy and motivation to continue to build on our success and ensure we strive for excellence in all that we do.
Torfaen PRU opened and registered in June 2009. It is a portfolio PRU, providing education for children and young people experiencing emotional, social and/or behavioural difficulties, those who have been permanently excluded or are awaiting a managed move, those whose anxiety or medical needs temporarily prevent them from attending school.
What we are looking for:
• A highly successful, enthusiastic and experienced senior leader with a proven track record;
• A proven track record of working with vulnerable and challenging young people;
• Dynamic and strategic leadership with a vision that drives the PRU forward, motivates and enthuses all stakeholders to achieve their best; creating a shared culture and positive climate that permeates through all aspects of the Council’s ambitions and provision;
• Creative, responsive and effective approaches to learner engagement; contributing to the development of collaborative practice with PRUs and improving the learning experience for all vulnerable learners;
• A leader who empowers all learners to take an active part in their own learning and personal responsibility for improving their future opportunities for educational experience, employment and wellbeing;
• Effective collaboration with the whole PRU community to provide a holistic approach to the care and well-being of all stakeholders;
• A forward thinking, innovative and creative practitioner, up to date with latest legislation including the national ALN Transformation Agenda, evidence-based thinking and practice;
• A leader who is an excellent communicator with highly developed interpersonal skills;
• A leader who possess a sound knowledge and experience of ways to meet a wide range of educational, social and emotional needs of pupils with additional learning needs;
• A coach and mentor to staff and other professionals;
• Commitment to continuing the established and successful partnerships with staff, pupils, parents, governors, other outside agencies and the wider community;
• Positivity and flexibility in managing change;
• A leader with high expectations of pupils' learning and behaviour;
• Ability to work under pressure while effectively managing challenging and testing situations;
• Ability to work collaboratively with leaders of other specialist provision in the LA and with LA Officers.
In return we are proud to offer you:
• A superb opportunity to work with our amazing young people;
• A strong team of highly dedicated, motivated and supportive colleagues;
• A PRU with a very strong track record in inclusion and provision for additional learning needs;
• A PRU which is committed to school improvement through a collaborative approach with established effective links with special schools across SE Wales region;
• An opportunity to work in collaboration with a range of colleagues to shape the future inclusion agenda within the Local Authority;
• A supportive and experienced management board;
• A range of rich leadership professional learning opportunities through EAS and the Local Authority;
• An exciting opportunity to lead a dedicated staff and an engaged and effective Management Board.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). A comprehensive screening process will be undertaken on all applicants, which will include an Enhanced check with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).
‘Torfaen County Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and applicants must be willing to undergo a comprehensive screening process appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.’
Torfaen LA is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.