Aims of Job/Job Purpose
The IT & Communications team gives technical support to all IT functions in the college, both academic and
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
You will work closely with the IT Managers and wider IT Team to ensure continuity and quality of service of
all IT systems.
We recognise that job descriptions are not always helpful in describing roles in what needs to be a flexible
and responsive service, but in the first instance you will be expected to:
• Assist in the maintenance and development of the College’s IT infrastructure – including but not
limited to: maintaining file systems and disk space; setting up and managing user accounts and
profiles; configuring and maintaining email accounts.
• Work closely with the Help Desk Administrator to ensure that system faults are dealt with quickly
• Provide cover for the Helpdesk Administrator during periods of Annual Leave and lunch breaks;
staffing the IT Helpdesk - offering first line support to users in person, on the telephone or using the
Internet/email; ensure the efficient recording of work requests and tasks completed within the
• Assist with the introduction of new software and upgrades on suites of computers. Assist in the building
and control of desktop profiles and manage the use of imaging software.
• Implement network policies and work with the IT Managers to set up and amend users.
• Offer second line support for all systems related support calls
• Assist with up-dating and training college staff in the use of the systems
• Undertake any training or updating necessary in your field (training in our systems will be given)
• Travel to the different centres to assist with their IT Systems needs
• Adhere to the college’s health and safety policy
• Participate in the development of equal opportunities, diversity and inclusion.
• Be a member of college groups as and where required.
• Undertake any other duties within the grade as required by the college
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. South & City College Birmingham is an equal opportunities employer. All posts within the College are subject to Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate