JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION
Post Title: Learning Coach
Full/part time: Full Time, Term Time Only
Hours: 35 Hours per week
Salary: £21,675 per annum, £17,340 pro-rata
Reporting to: Curriculum Manager of Sports studies and Dance.
Purpose of the role: To support students across Both Sports studies and Dance. Learning
and coaching will be an essential part of the role. The learning coach will work closely with
tutors to support the learners to achieve their desired outcomes focusing on nurturing their
• To provide one to one classroom support for learners with EHCPs.
• Provide pastoral support to students
• To provide learning and coaching support to students
• Support the learning of students who have ECHPs either on a one to one basis or
in small groups.
• To work with students with a range of needs such as emotional/behavioural,
physical needs, sensory impairments, speech and language needs, medical
conditions or a combination of these.
• Use specialist (curricular/learning) skills/training/experience to support learners.
• Assist with the development and implementation of individual education plans
• Establish productive working relationships with learners, acting as a role model and
• setting high expectations.
• Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all learners within the classroom
• Support students consistently whilst recognising and responding to their individual
Encourage pupils to interact and work co-operatively with others and engage all pupils
• Promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and reward
achievement of self-reliance.
• Provide feedback to learners in relation to progress and achievement.
• Provide support in the transition from secondary to further education and
• Willingness to help with personal care as necessary.
• Work with the tutors to establish an appropriate learning environment.
• Work with the teacher in evaluating and adjusting lessons/work plans as
• Be responsible for keeping and updating records as agreed with the SENCO/Line
Manager, contributing to reviews of systems/records as requested.
• Promote positive values, attitudes and good student behaviour, dealing promptly
with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to
take responsibility for their own behaviour.
• Liaise sensitively and effectively with parents/carers as agreed with the line
• Provide support for exams including invigilation, being a reader and scribe for
• To operate at all times in line with the Academy’s values and policies.
This job description is designed to outline a range of main duties that may be encountered. It
is not designed to be an exhaustive listing of tasks and can be varied in consultation with the
post holder in order to reflect changes in the job or the organisation.
Qualifications/Competencies 5 GCSE Grade A*-C in maths and English or equivalent. NVQ 3
for Teaching Assistants or equivalent qualification or willingness to work towards.
First Aid Qualified or willingness to work towards Relevant Experience
Experience of teaching with the 16-19 age group Experience of the pastoral care of students,
monitoring their achievements and attendance
Knowledge A well-developed understanding of the particular needs of the 16- 19 age group
both in full-time education and employment and of the professional challenges by inner city
students many of whom come from deprived backgrounds
An understanding of and commitment to safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults.
Motivation to work with children/young people/vulnerable adult’s ability to form and maintain
appropriate relationships and personal boundaries with children and young people/vulnerable
Emotional resilience in working with challenging behaviours
Attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline Skills/Ability
Good literacy and numeracy skills Good ICT skills to support learning Ability to provide
learning and tutorial support for students
Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative Personal Skills Demonstrate enthusiasm
Attitude for hard work, the ability to take initiatives, a flexible approach and an ability to
implement change Knowledge into one or both of the subjects areas.
Big Creative Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.