Background to the Post
WCG has three core values, the first of which is to put the student first. The role of the Learning Mentor is to ensure that all our students with SEND reach their potential. The main purpose of this post is to support students within their learning programmes and help them towards achieving independence.
Young people have the right to request that an institution is named in their EHC plan, and local authorities have a duty to name that institution in the EHC plan unless, following consultation with the institution, the local authority determines that it is unsuitable for the young person’s age, ability, aptitude or SEN, or that to place the young person there would be incompatible with the efficient use of resources or the efficient education of others.
The majority of time will be spent with identified students in the classroom/workshop/practical at level 1 and on a mentoring basis with students at higher levels of study where the student has an EHCP. There will be a requirement to undertake administrative tasks relating to recording student progress and supporting student retention and achievement.
Why Work With Us?
Imagine working for an employer that has a positive impact on the lives of thousands of students every year. That could be you.
We offer careers in teaching, educational support and pastoral care and brilliant opportunities within our professional Corporate and Commercial Services departments. The opportunities here are almost endless and can be full time, term time only, part time.
We are one of the largest higher and further education colleges in the country with just under 15,000 students and around 1,300 staff. That’s a lot of people and people are our key to success.
WCG has a comprehensive staff training program, offering leadership training for those wanting to progress and an employee health and wellbeing programme to support our staff when they need it most.
Place of Work: Pershore College
Our Pershore College centre is a national centre for horticulture situated on a 60-hectare site near Evesham., specialising in land-based learning. The college has also been producing award-winning fruit juice, craft cider, and perry for more than twenty years. Facilities for Pershore include commercial orchards, horticultural machinery and equipment and a dog grooming salon.
Pershore College is located on the outskirts of the thriving market town of Pershore in Worcestershire, just a few miles from Evesham.
- GCSE Grade C or above in English and Mathematics, or Level 2 equivalent qualification.
- Working knowledge of information technology such as e-mail, the internet and other software applications.
- Previous experience of supporting young people with a learning difficulty and/or disability.
- An understanding of Educational Health and Care Plans.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills, including record keeping.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- A qualification relevant to SpLD.
- Previous experience of working in Further Education.
- Previous experience of managing students with behaviours for concern.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- The ability to effectively manage students with challenging behaviours.
- Ability to motivate students to reach targets sets.
- Commitment to a high level of student achievement and to continuous quality improvement.
- Supportive, positive and non-judgemental attitude.
- Awareness of health and safety procedures or willingness to undertake training.
- Be flexible and very responsive in approach to teaching styles and methods.
- Be able to respond effectively to the student’s individual needs.
- Work to deadlines set.
- Commitment to equality and diversity and knowledge of Disability Discrimination and Equality Act.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Equality and Diversity.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults.
- Ability to demonstrate behaviours which support the Core Values of the College
For a full job description including duties and responsibilities of the role, please see the job description attached below.
Warwickshire College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.