Aims of Job/Job Purpose
The role of a Main Grade Lecturer (MGL) at South & City College Birmingham is to support the College’s aims, objectives and mission statement to provide high quality, education and training in response to local need.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
• Required to teach on English Language programmes from beginner level up to advanced and IELTs preparation.
• Responsible for planning and managing lessons, to include planning of resources, as well as curriculum development and regular review meetings.
• Responsible for the management and tracking of students to include administering all paperwork related to courses and groups with particular attention to monitoring of progress and attendance in accordance with College policy and Home Office regulations.
• Act as a personal tutor providing learners with academic support and meeting their educational needs.
• Carry out the assessments including: initial and diagnostic assessment, preparation for exams, assign and mark homework and provide timely feedback on progress.
• Ensure timely and accurate completion of registers and ensure attendance issues are reported and followed up appropriately.
• Liaise with the International Office with regard to attendance and achievements.
• Manage classroom behaviour including punctuality and motivate learners to persist and achieve.
• Be responsible for completing and maintaining appropriate internal and external quality standards, participating in internal moderation and verification activities and submitting sample assessments for external quality assurance in a timely manner.
• Be compliant with equality and diversity in teaching and learning.
• Contribute towards and plan enrichment activities and educational visits to enhance the learning experience
• Ensure “In Attendance” time is carried out to meet the needs of the students and Faculty priorities.
• Provide pastoral and student support in conjunction with Student Engagement.
• Work with the Quality team and Faculty to continually improve the effectiveness of teaching and learning.
• Support students to improve their study skills and exam techniques.
• Be available to cover for colleagues in line with contractual arrangements and, where agreed, provide support and guidance as a mentor to new staff.
• Work flexibly within contractual arrangements to meet the needs of the client group which includes provision which runs outside normal college term dates.
• Undertake any other duties and responsibilities as directed and required, commensurate with the grade of the post and prescribed in the MGL contract of employment.
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. South & City College Birmingham is an equal opportunities employer. All posts within the College are subject to Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate