Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
1. Prepare materials for practical sessions to deadline.
2. Keep laboratories and clinics clean and tidy and maintain the prep room in an orderly condition.
3. Work alongside and support the senior technician and lecturers in all practical lessons.
4. Advise lecturers as to alternative procedures or equipment.
5. Complete and update risk assessments for practical activities and COSHH records for all chemicals
and radioactive materials.
6. Support teachers during practical sessions
7. Check equipment on a daily basis to make sure it is in a safe working order at all times.
8. Monitor and maintain laboratory coats.
9. Attend and contribute to the Divisional meetings.
10. Arrange and maintain science displays.
11. Take part in science taster events and open days.
12. Attend the college’s health and safety meetings and monitor health and safety in the science
laboratories at all times.
13. Undertake first aid duties and be responsible for updating first aid qualification as and when
14. Any other duties, which are commensurate with the grade and nature of the post.
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. South & City College Birmingham is an equal opportunities employer. All posts within the College are subject to Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate