Location: North West Bristol, BS10
HOURS: 37 hours per week, 40 weeks per year (Term time plus one additional week).
At Bristol Free School, we are committed to the young people in our care. Our commitment encourages and inspires every child to fulfil their potential, we provide our students with the necessary skills to achieve academic and personal growth so they truly thrive, both socially and emotionally. We are excited to be advertising for a Science Technician to provide high quality technical support for the science department and ensure the smooth and safe running of science lessons by supplying the correct equipment and resources.
Do you enjoy working with students from diverse backgrounds? Are you looking to become part of a supportive and inclusive team? At BFS we have a team of dedicated people who are all working together to support our students. Our school is a vibrant community and a highly rewarding place to work. This role is working 37 hours per week (Monday to Friday) permanent contract.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
You will primarily be responsible for assisting and supporting the Science department with technical support to deliver the curriculum to students, including advising on health and safety and risk assessment.
• Preparation of Science materials and equipment: Preparing experiments, setting up apparatus and equipment for demonstrations and practical lessons as requested by teaching staff.
• Planning and organisation of systems: Working to support and implement systems, procedures and policies including maintenance of specialist resources and long term Science projects.
• Advise and support Teachers: To ensure all staff understand the proper use of equipment, resources including chemicals and contribute to demonstrations as required.
• Monitor and Control Supplies: Control stock numbers and order any further supplies when needed. To check goods delivered against orders and carry out inventory checks on a regular basis.
• Health and Safety of Science laboratories and prep rooms: To ensure routine and non-routine checking, cleaning, maintenance and calibration testing and repairing of equipment/apparatus are carried out to the required standard in order to ensure safe and efficient operations.
• Previous experience within a similar role
• Ability to manage own time effectively
• Ability to operate as part of a team or individually as required.
• Excellent communicator who is patient, flexible and adaptable.
What we offer
Being part of BFS means living our values of community, ambition and opportunity. We want our young people to leave BFS with confidence and a strong belief that they can make the best of their life chances and be positive citizens with a strong moral compass. We all have the potential to support to shape our school and it’s through these values that we will leave a lasting legacy.
The successful candidate can expect:
- A rewarding and dynamic job role making a real, lasting and positive impact on our school community
- Positive and inclusive working environment where well-being is central to our culture
- Employee Wellbeing Programme
- Career development, CPD courses
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Free parking onsite
BFS celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.
If this role sounds like something you would be interested in, then please apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
Deadline: 04 August
If offered the post, appropriate checks will be carried out prior to your start date. These checks will include (but are not limited to) a full DBS check.
We are completely committed to safeguarding the welfare of our students. Those who work for us are expected to share this commitment, which will be fully tested as part of the selection process. Our policies, procedures and practices reflect our commitment to equality and diversity. Individuals will be selected for appointment based purely on their suitability for the post.