Science Department at St Bede’s School
We’re a friendly, supportive group of technicians, who work in a dynamic department in an outstanding school and we're looking to recruit a team player to replace a member of the 6 strong team. Within the overarching team, where we support each other across subjects when the need arises, we work in smaller teams of 2, each focusing on Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The advertised role is for a technician who shares their working week between Physics (approximately 20 hours) and Chemistry (approximately 12.5 hours), a total of 32.5 hours per week, but we would welcome those with a broad base of skills.
The hours will be 32.5 per week spread over 5 days per week (Monday to Friday); the actual daily working pattern will be agreed with the person appointed. It is a term time appointment, including inset days, plus one week of work during the school holidays.
The role is busy and varied, with no two days the same. A science background would be an advantage, although not essential, but a willingness to learn is key; on the job training is given, as well as opportunities for CPD, so if you’d like more information or have any questions please contact the Lead Science Technician, Tracey, by using the email address provided in the information pack.
There is no entitlement to take leave during term time. All holidays must be taken during school breaks. Annual salary includes payment for holiday entitlement.
Why work for us?
- St Bede's is a good place to work. Staff are friendly and supportive of one another: relationships between staff and pupils were recognised by Ofsted as 'exceptionally strong'.
- NQTs benefit from a well developed and comprehensive induction period programme. More experienced teachers are given the opportunity to participate in training which will help them to develop skills needed for middle and senior management roles.
- There are good on-site catering facilities. Staff are able to use the fitness facilities free of charge and to participate in sports activities.
- Music is a big part of school life and staff are welcome to join our senior choir and instrumental groups.
- We have a social event at the end of each term as well as occasional staff trips to the theatre.
- The school is situated in Redhill, a commuter belt town in the Surrey Fringe area. We are close to the M25 and there are good transport links to London and the South Coast from Redhill station which is about 15 minutes walk from the school. We also benefit from being within walking distance of beautiful countryside . Many staff live locally, others commute from Guildford, South London, Kent and East & West Sussex.
Our school is committed to the safeguarding of children so all appointments are subject to a satisfactory enhanced disclosure check with the Disclosure and Barring Service. We will only consider applications made on our standard forms and references will be taken up before interview.