Job Title: SEN Learning Support Assistant
Reporting to: HTLA
Grade/Salary: £17,745 plus holiday pay
Hours: 32.5 hours per week/ term time only
Contract: End of August 2020 - July 2021, view to extend if funding available
Probationary Period: 6 Months
Location: Green Corridor’s Learning and Development Centre
Background to the Role
Green Corridor is a small, dynamic UK registered Charity, working to improve the employability of disadvantaged 16-25-year-olds through practical training in Horticulture and Catering.
Green Corridor’s five-year strategy is to:
Support more disadvantaged young people and vulnerable adults currently not in employment, education or training and those at risk of becoming so.
Provide a wider range of learning opportunities for young people who do not suit the ‘traditional’ academic system and are better suited to vocational training.
Become financially sustainable through income diversification including new social enterprise activities for our young people.
Summary of the Role
• To work under guidance providing support to a learner with an Education, Health & Care Plan to enable them to access the curriculum and to develop social and communication skills within a class and group setting.
• To provide practical assistance to the tutor in meeting the educational, social and personal welfare needs of the learner.
• To ensure a safe working environment for staff and learners.
• To contribute to facilitating young people’s access to learning, promoting inclusion, assessing and supporting achievement and monitoring progress towards individual/school objectives.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities of the Role
• To work with the tutor to establish an appropriate learning environment.
• To work with the tutor on lesson planning, evaluating and adjusting lesson/work plans as appropriate.
• To monitor and evaluate learners’ responses to learning activities through observations and planned recording of achievement against learning objectives.
• To use specialist skills to support learners’ learning such as PECS, Makaton, symbols and iPads.
• To assist with the development, implementation and evaluation of learning programmes and individual work plans.
• To prepare and assist in the preparation of the classroom, resources and equipment.
• To establish productive working relationships with learners acting as a role model and setting high expectations.
• Communicating with learners with varying degrees of speech and language difficulties, using communicative system/equipment where necessary.
• To promote inclusion and acceptance of all learners within the classroom and across Green Corridor.
• To support learners consistently whilst recognising and responding to their individual needs
• To encourage learners to interact and work co-operatively with others whilst engaging in activities.
• To promote independence and employ strategies to recognise and acknowledge achievement and self-reliance.
• To provide feedback to learners in relation to progress and achievement and to provide accurate, evidenced and objective feedback and reports to the tutor.
• To be responsible for keeping and updating records with the tutor and other staff, contributing to reviews as requested.
• To liaise with external agencies (such as SALT, OT and Physio) and follow their advice for safety, learning and therapy programmes, as appropriate.
Wellbeing and Safeguarding
• Meet with parents and carers as part of maintaining positive relationships and the full implementation of the Green Corridor’s values and ethos
• To promote Green Corridors’ values, positive attitudes and good learner behaviour, dealing promptly with conflicts and incidents in line with established policies and procedures, encouraging learners to take responsibility for their own behaviour
• To supervise learners on visits, trips and out-of-school activities as required
• To support breaktime/lunches and lunchtime supervision within employed hours
• Administer first aid as appropriate
• To carry out personal care as required
• Maintain vigilance regarding Safeguarding
• To carry out Team Teach/MAPA if required
• Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to, safeguarding, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person in a timely and proactive manner
•To participate in 30 hours CPD per year specific to the needs of learners and Green Corridor
•To keep your own individual Professional Development Plan up to date.
• Undertake any other task identified as being necessary to fulfil contract requirements or the requirements of an individual support
•The post holder will be required to undertake other appropriate activities related to achieving the organisations objectives, as determined by the CEO or your line manager
Green Corridor is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.