Senior Hair Stylist
Salary: £18,250 to £20,250 per annum
Location: Birmingham, Longbridge
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the SCCB as we are seeking to appoint Senior Hair Stylist in our commercial salon at Longbridge
Aims of Job/Job Purpose
Provide all aspects of hairdressing services.
Build and retain a client base.
Demonstrate continuously high standards of professional practice to act as a role model for junior stylist and uphold the reputation of the salon.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
1. Client consultation, listen and discuss options for what the client wants to achieve, giving advice and suggesting ideas for suitable styles. Ensuring skin test are undertaken for colours
2. Cut and style ladies, men’s and children’s hair using different styling tools and techniques.
3. Straightening, pre-lighting, colouring and colour correction to clients’ hair to create the style they request.
4. Style the hair with the aid of a blow dryer and various types of brushes, curling irons of different sizes, rollers, hooded dryers, hot rollers and other types of equipment.
5. Shampoo, condition and rinse hair, making sure towels and supplies are ready for use.
6. Provide hair care services such as deep conditioning and permanent waving.
7. Provide hair up services, weddings and events
8. Advising on minor hair and scalp problems.
9. Participate in regular staff training including new services and products, which may fall on days other than normal working days.
10. Making sure that hair products containing chemicals are used and stored correctly.
11. Reception duties, such as answering the telephone, greeting clients, using the computer to take payments, make booking and input client data handling.
12. Banking and cash handling of end of day transactions.
13. Maintain and update client records.
14. Maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness within the salon.
15. Maintaining Laundry, daily washing and drying of towels
16. Ensure that stock levels are controlled effectively including new product launches.
17. Planning and participating in regular promotional events.
18. Advise clients of products available for retail purchase and ensure retail income targets are met.
19. Working as part of a team, to achieve income targets, including retail targets
20. Have an understanding of risk assessments and how to manage any risks
NVQ or VRQ level 3 Diploma in Hairdressing or equivalent with a minimum 2 years’ experience is essential
Proven practical skills – cutting, styling, colour correction and long hair styles
Awareness of health & safety issues
Ability to listen & communicate well
Basic IT skills with the ability to use MS Office Word and Excel packages
Time management skills
Problem solving ability
Proven planning and organisational skills
Ability to work under pressure
Ability to put clients at ease
Tact & diplomacy skills
Attention to detail to enable the keeping of accurate financial & auditable records
Professional attitude towards work
Positive and enthusiastic approach
Flexible attitude to work evenings and weekends
Consistently maintaining a high standard within their working practises
Ability to communicate effectively to provide or explain instructions or procedures with all clients and other team members
Honest and Trustworthy
A proven commitment to equal opportunities and an understanding of the college’s Equal Opportunities Policies
A proven commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults
Training in afro Caribbean hair such as relaxing and cutting techniques.
Barbering skills such as cutting hair and beards with the aid of clipper.
Please note: South & City College Birmingham reserves the right to extend the advertising period for this vacancy or close the vacancy early in line with volume of applicants. We would therefore advise interested candidates to apply promptly
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. South & City College Birmingham is an equal opportunities employer. All posts within the College are subject to Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate