The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham. Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
September 2021 sees further student growth for the Academy; as such, we have some exciting new vacancies available, including the need for an enthusiastic linguist to join our dynamic and passionate MFL team and teach Spanish and French. NQTs are welcome and all candidates must be able to evidence QTS. We are seeking someone who will make a positive difference to the education of our students, by inspiring young people’s minds with new ideas and insights into different cultures.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in July 2020 for SRWA revealed that these were some of the areas our staff considers are ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The MFL department is housed in the Lapper area of our modern main building and benefits from spacious and bright classrooms. The department also has access to a range of ICT based resources to blend with more traditional methods to enthuse a love of languages. GCSE uptake of languages is high at SRWA as we aim for at least 75% of our students to continue with either French or Spanish. Over the years our results have steadily been improving and last year saw one of our students go on to study French at Oxford University. The MFL team are committed to meeting the needs of all students by challenging them to achieve their potential. Our past KS3 day trips have been hugely popular and we look forward to being able to resume these once travel restrictions are lifted.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work near Brighton with all its rich cultural opportunities and with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, then this may be the place for you. This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher;
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students;
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress;
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively;
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning;
• make effective use of their time;
• secure high standards of behaviour from students;
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful training for NQTs).
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to interview and, if necessary, withdraw the advertisement before the closing date, should the right candidate be found.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Closing date: 7 February 2021.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.