Sports Technician and Cover Supervisor
Contract: Part Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week, 45 weeks (Term Time plus 1 week), Mon to Thurs 8am – 4pm, Friday 8am - 3:30pm.
Salary: TD12 - Actual salary £16,219.04 per annum (FTE £18,742.00)
Site: Thomas Deacon Academy
Closing date: Monday 15th March 2021
Thomas Deacon Education Trust is a charitable organisation dedicated to raising educational outcomes across a range of primary and secondary phase schools and academies in the East Midlands. As a multi-academy trust we strive to provide outstanding teaching and learning for all and an ethos and culture that encourages everyone to be the very best that they can be.
We put learners, and their learning, at the heart of everything we do.
Thomas Deacon Academy
The Thomas Deacon Academy that we know today opened in 2007 as one of the UK’s first and largest academies. Whilst a building does not make a school, it is worth noting that Thomas Deacon Academy was designed by Norman Foster and Partners and in addition to our impressive main academy our beautiful 43-acre campus includes TDA Juniors - a modern, light and purpose-built Key Stage 2 facility - and expansive playing fields and sporting facilities.
In September 2018, a new extension to the existing main building led to new accommodation being created for a sixth form study centre, refectory expansion and staff professional learning centre.
Moving forward, our core purpose for the Academy is: “To ensure that each student acquires the necessary knowledge, skills and character to make a positive contribution to society and ‘thrive’ as a global citizen.”
The Academy’s core purpose is supported by our six pillars of character which provide the foundations for our TDA Way. Our character values are: Curiosity, Commitment, Courage, Compassion, Confidence and Courtesy.
In September 2019, TDA received a very positive Ofsted report, judging the academy to be Good overall. Ofsted commented favourably, amongst other things, on the overall leadership of the academy, good teaching, positive relationships between staff and students and students’ behaviour. The Sixth Form was graded as ‘Good’ and recognised as a strength of the Academy. These aspects of the academy have been maintained alongside the identified areas for development being addressed.
Are you passionate about sports and familiar with working with sports equipment, or are you thinking about a career in teaching PE?
If so, this role is for you!
We have a great opportunity to join Thomas Deacon Academy’s Sports Department as a Sports Technician and Cover Supervisor in PE. You will be primarily required to support teachers, coaches and students on a daily basis, including setting up and preparing equipment for lessons, and ensuring equipment is available in advance of timetables. You will need to be available to check equipment in and out of stores specifically at the end of lessons to direct students. You will be responsible for monitoring the state and cleanliness of the equipment and managing the first aid supplies. This role will also require you to lead some core PE lessons when teaching staff are absent.
• Have experience of working with a variety of sports equipment.
• Have good ICT skills and have the ability to use a range of ICT packages, including Microsoft Office suite.
• Be able to work in a fast paced environment whilst remaining calm and professional.
• Be able to multi-task and use your own initiative to prioritise and organise your workload.
• Be committed to building good working relationships with colleagues and pupils, and promoting teamwork with different departments.
• Have the confidence to lead sports activities.
The Trust offers:
• Excellent salary package.
• Fantastic training/CPD opportunities in a friendly supportive environment.
• Opportunity for progression across Thomas Deacon Education Trust.
• Use of Academy facilities (including a gym and onsite car parking).
• Local Government pension scheme.
• An engaging, creative and welcoming environment to learners who take pride in their school.
• An inclusive and collaborative approach.
• A talented, highly motivated, committed and professional team of colleagues, both within the school and across the trust.
• An actively supportive Local Governing Body and Trust leadership.
Thomas Deacon Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The Academy will require the successful candidate to provide satisfactory references and undertake an Enhanced Check with the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Thomas Deacon Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.