The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a thriving 11–18 Academy serving primarily the students of Lancing, Sompting and West Shoreham. We are committed to ensuring that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential.
The Academy is currently seeking to appoint for September 2020 a dynamic, motivational and enthusiastic Teacher of PE. This post would suit individuals with the passion and drive to be a positive role model to students, someone who is wholeheartedly committed to raising student attainment in PE. QTS is essential and applications from NQTs are welcome.
This is an incredible opportunity to join an excellent PE team who are very excited about the future outcomes of their students. The Academy PE department is thriving and students have achieved excellent exam results in recent years in both GCSE and Level 2 and 3 Sports BTEC. Students and staff enjoy outstanding sports facilities: a 6-court sports hall with bleacher seating, a Multi-Use Games Area which has recently been resurfaced to incorporate tennis, netball and handball, a brand new full-size 3G artificial grass pitch for football and rugby, a brand new 100m running track, and a fitness suite fully equipped with cardio equipment and weights. The fitness suite is free to use for employees. We have many successful sports teams across the year groups, the most notable this year being our Year 9 Basketball team who got down to the last 4 teams nationally, in the semi-finals of The National Schools Cup. Sports at the academy are upheld as an area of excellence.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last Ofsted report, Feb 2018:
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
These were some of the areas Staff considered to be ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If the idea of delivering an extra-curricular session outside your subject area, within the timetable excites rather than scares you; you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results; you want to work near Brighton with all its rich cultural opportunities, this may be the place for you.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students (or of successful completion of initial teacher training if applying as an NQT).
Closing date: Midday on Monday 1 June 2020.
Interviews: date to be confirmed as soon as possible.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
The academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All posts will be subject to satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the DBS.