Apple Orchard is an expanding therapeutic community with a school attached. All young people in our care have significant SEMH concerns and as such we are looking for a teaching assistant with a passion to work with those who are most vulnerable
The school has been rated “Outstanding” in its last three OFSTED inspections
You will assist in promoting the learning and personal development of the pupil to whom you are assigned, to enable him/her to make best use of the educational opportunities available to them.
Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks
1 To aid the pupil to learn as effectively as possible both in group situations and on his/her own by, for example:
- Clarifying and explaining instructions
- Ensuring the pupil is able to use equipment and materials provided
- Motivating and encouraging the pupil(s) as required by providing levels of individual attention, reassurance and help with learning tasks as appropriate to pupils’ needs
- Assisting in weaker areas, e.g. speech and language, reading, spelling, numeracy, handwriting/presentation etc
- Using praise, commentary and assistance to encourage the pupil to concentrate and stay on task
- Liaising with class teacher, SENCO and other professionals about personal education plans (PEPs), contributing to the planning and delivery as appropriate
- Providing additional nurture to individuals when requested by the class teacher or SENCO
- Consistently and effectively implementing agreed behaviour management strategies
2 To establish supportive relationships with the pupil concerned
3 To promote the acceptance and inclusion of pupils with SEN, encouraging pupils to interact with each other in an appropriate and acceptable manner
4 Monitor pupils’ responses to the learning activities and, where appropriate, modify or adapt the activities as agreed with the teacher to achieve the intended learning outcomes.
5 To give positive encouragement, feedback and praise to reinforce and sustain pupils’ efforts and develop self reliance and self esteem.
6 To support pupils in developing social skills both in and out of the classroom
7 To provide regular feedback on pupils’ learning and behaviour to the teacher/SENCO, including feedback on the effectiveness of the behaviour strategies adopted
8 When working with a group of pupils, understand and use group dynamic to promote group effectiveness and support group and individual performance
9 To know and apply school policies
10 To be aware of confidential issues linked to home/pupil/teacher/school
11 To contribute towards reviews of pupils’ progress as appropriate
12 To comply with legal and organisational requirements for maintaining the health, safety and security of yourself and others in the learning environment
13 To take part in training activities offered by the school to further knowledge and skills of working with students with specific learning difficulties
14 To support break and lunch time supervision in accordance with the school rota
15 To accompany teacher and pupils on educational visits
16 To provide individual support, as required, during examination sessions
17 To carry out the above duties in accordance with the Education Department’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
18 To contribute positively and effectively to the Every Child Matters Agenda.
Apple Orchard, Bramley is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.We particularly welcome applications from under represented groups including ethnicity, gender, transgender, age, disability, sexual orientation or religion.