Teaching Assistant (with ASDAN responsibility)
Fixed term until 31/8/20, part-time (34 hours and 10 minutes per week), term time only to start as soon as possible
VTG 5 Scale Point 12-15 Salary £16,445 - £17,413 per annum pro rata (actual salary £12,349 - £13,076 per annum) plus an allowance of £1000 per annum + Health Cash Plan and Benefit package (see website for full details of our employee benefit package)
In Colston’s Girls’ School all pupils will achieve to the best of their individual ability. As members of ‘Green Schools’ with a focus on languages, pupils will develop an understanding of their position in the wider world in preparation for life as global citizens.
We are seeking a dedicated individual who has a passion for helping young people and who is committed to raising the attainment and aspiration of our students.
In return you will join a wonderful team and have every opportunity to further your professional development and career with an excellent benefit package including; Wellbeing Health Cash Plan, Higher Degree Support Funding, Retail Discounts, ICT Loans, Professional Induction Incentive plus others.
The Learning Support Department
The Learning Support Department aims to give support to a wide range of pupils. The aim is to help students to achieve their full potential and prepare them for life after school. We want students to be healthy, happy and safe; to enjoy learning and achieve social and economic wellbeing. We believe that most pupils, who experience barriers to their learning, can be helped to gain full access to the curriculum, can make progress and flourish in their educational journey.
Some students will have in class support, others may participate in a range of interventions lead by teachers and teaching assistants who are extremely well qualified. Students having interventions will have a Personalised Provision Plan (PPP) with specific smart targets, which are regularly reviewed. Students with special educational needs have access to the wide and varied curriculum offered t all students at Colston’s Girls’ School. Students with special educational needs are fully integrated into the life of the school and are encouraged to participate equally in extra-curricular and community activities. In year 7 there is a nurture group of 10-12 students which offers extra support for academic subjects, social and emotional needs. In KS4 there is some flexibility in the range of options.
The Teaching Assistant team supervise and organise both the enrichment and afterschool homework club.
The SENCo supports and advises all staff and parents of the specialist learning support available, manages the SEND register and line manages the TA Team.
We would like the successful candidate to attend the ASDAN training at Engineer’s house on 20 November 2019.
You will be responsible to the SENCO to lead the delivery of ASDAN and to provide support for students that are undertaking ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness.
- To lead the planning and delivery of ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) at KS4.
- To ensure that the correct assessments are carried out for the ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) course.
- To mark and provide formative feedback to students completing the ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) course.
- To liaise with the SENCO and provide regular updates on the progress of students completing the ASDAN Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE) course.
- To provide written reports during the year to inform parents / carers about student progress.
- To engage with and fulfil the whole school QA, reporting and data entry policies and procedures
- To support the SENCO in the day-to-day operational running of the Learning Support department
- To create a termly newsletter focusing on developments within the Learning Support department and providing parents / carers with information about upcoming events and opportunities.
- To support the SENCO in the preparation and delivery of the SEND information evening.
The successful candidate will have:
- English and Maths GCSE (“C” grade or above) or equivalent
- A relevant qualification in Childcare and/or Education
- Willingness to work towards a relevant qualification for Teaching Assistants
- Experience of working with children of the relevant age (parent, voluntary worker or other)
- Knowledge of relevant learning strategies (e.g. literacy)
- Knowledge of relevant Speech and Language Therapy strategies
- Ability to work alongside teaching staff to help them to achieve their objectives;
- Ability to help children on an individual basis, in small group and whole class work
Closing date: Monday 30th September 2019 at 9.00.
Interviews: Tuesday 8th October 2019.
Please note due to the expected volumes of applications it may not be possible to acknowledge or respond to all applicants.
Colston's Girls' School is part of Venturers Trust and is committed to
equality, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people
and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS
check is required for all staff.